BECOME A DISEASE DETECTIVE !
Admission to the 6th Batch of the
Field Epidemiology Training Program Bangladesh (FETPB)
A unique 2-year training opportunity for government physicians and veterinarians with the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control & Research (IEDCR) of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC).
The goal of the FETPB is to strengthen the human capacity of the public health system of Bangladesh and produce the public health leaders of the future.
Since 1980, US CDC has partnered with Ministries of Health to establish 54 Field Epidemiology Training Programs worldwide. These programs have produced more than 3,100 graduates from 72 countries. Many graduates obtain high-level leadership positions within the health system.
- Led investigations of outbreaks of human illness including: anthrax, Nipah virus, acute watery diarrhea, leptospirosis, influenza, suspected MERS-CoV, and many more!
- Evaluated and directly implemented improvements to multiple national surveillance systems including: adverse events following immunization, tuberculosis, enteric illness, and others
- Presented public health findings to international audiences: US CDC (USA), International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases (USA), Training Programs in Epidemiology and Public Health Interventions Network Global Conference (Mexico)
- Classroom: courses in epidemiology, biostatistics, disease surveillance, outbreak investigation, communications, and management
- Field: conduct outbreak investigations, surveillance system evaluations and data analyses, disease control and prevention, research, reporting to decision-makers, and teaching
- Graduation certificate granted by IEDCR and US CDC upon completion of the program
- Both current batches enrolled in MSc in Applied Epidemiology
Requirements of candidate
- Government physicians and veterinarians only
- MBBS or DVM
- Be at least 5 years after passing MBBS
- Have been a government physician or veterinarian for at least 2 years
- Government Deputation criteria will apply
- English proficiency – reading, writing, speaking, and understanding
- Computer proficiency
- Maximum age limit of 40 years
- Physically able to conduct fieldwork
- Willingness to travel, on occasion, on short notice within Bangladesh
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
*PRIOR APPLICANTS, NOTE: You are encouraged to apply. However, to ensure fairness during
selection, prior applicants (because of their experience with the selection process) will receive a
15% reduction in their final score. This final score is used to select trainees into the class.
Optional, but preferred criteria
1) Advanced public health degree (MPH, MPhil, etc.) and/or post-graduate training or diploma
2) Current involvement in surveillance, outbreak investigation, or public health response activities
How to apply
1) Submit by March 21, 2019 9:00am to 5:00pm, Office days
a.Application through proper channel (Medical doctors through Civil Surgeon / veterinary surgeons through District Livestock Officer)
b. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
i. Include all points listed under “Requirements of candidate”
ii. Include points listed under “Optional, but preferred criteria”, if applicable
iii. Include your contact phone, email, and address
c. Attested copies of academic certificates
i. For MBBS or DVM
ii. For other masters degrees or other post-graduate training or diploma, if applicable
d. Attested copies of government papers
i. First Joining letter
ii. Previous deputation order (if any)
iii. Updated HRM (counter signed by controlling authority)
e. Name, address, email, and contact number of at least 2 references from persons who know your work well
d. Submit to: Office of the Director, IEDCR, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212
a. Shortlisted candidates take a written test
b. Top scoring participants selected for a 2-week certificate introductory course on epidemiology – estimated June, 2019
c. All participants who complete the introductory course on epidemiology will receive a certificate of completion from IEDCR and US CDC.
d. Participants will undergo interview by panel consisting of IEDCR and US CDC staff
e. Up to 5 physician plus 2 veterinarian trainees chosen for 2-year FETP,B course
f. Beginning of FETPB course – estimated July 2019
Additional information (click links below)